Monday, June 8, 2009

apartment life

A week ago, I set off an alarm in our apartment. While looking for a phone jack, I pushed a button on what I thought was a phone. Come to find out, it's the intercom for our front door. This "phone" has no numbers on it. Drrr. So I pushed this button and it started blaring and I had no idea what to do. I tried to turn it off and fiddled with every other button I could find. I finally gathered myself enough to call Brian and he came home from work to rescue me. In the meanwhile, I was still freaking out and the alarm was still screaming. But then, I moved a face plate and the thing stopped. Relief, with my heart still pounding.

Today, Mirah and I met the most lovely mama and daughter upon returning to the apartment after a quick morning outing. I learned her name, her daughter's name and age, and that they live on the third floor in our building. Then the girls waved at each other and we said our bye-byes. It was a sweet encounter. The only problem was, I didn't know how to be more friendly, or create some means for continuing the conversation. I just get frustrated when it seems like a connection might be possible and I am struggling to find words. I hope I encounter this mama again.

At lunchtime we went out to meet Brian at a nearby restaurant. After lunch, Mirah and I returned to the apartment once again. This time the building's owner / landlord was hanging out where he sometimes does, in a garage next to the main door of the apartment. At first I was kind of freaked out by this dude, for some reason, but today we had the best chat! We were about to go in the door when he pointed out a white cat in the window of a neighboring apartment building. Then we just started chatting about lots of things. I think he understands English very well, even though he might not admit it. I found out that he has been to Vancouver, grew up next door to an American Navy family, and likes the t.v. show Monk.

Since Landlord and I had such a wide-ranging conversation, I thought it would be a good time to apologize for the alarm noise I had made a week ago, in case he had heard anything. I feel relieved that I got to know Landlord better, and that I came clean about my alarm-button-pushing!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa---So good to read about your experiences in Japan while I'm have some near-similar ones in Germany! Also just good to keep up w/you all!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete